EIP is a nonprofit organization established in March of 2002 by former EPA enforcement attorneys to advocate for more effective enforcement of environmental laws. Comprised of public interest lawyers, analysts, investigators, and community organizers, EIP has three goals: (1) to provide objective analyses of how the failure to enforce or implement environmental laws increases pollution and affects the public’s health; (2) to hold federal and state agencies, as well as individual corporations, accountable for failing to enforce or comply with environmental laws; and (3) to help local communities obtain the protection of environmental laws.
The Environmental Integrity Project (EIP) is hiring a Staff Attorney to conduct Clean Water Act legal advocacy and enforcement in the Chesapeake Bay, with an emphasis on strengthening water discharge permits and improving rates of Clean Water Act compliance in Maryland. The position requires 1-5 years of post-law school legal experience, and the selected candidate will work closely with coalition partners on Chesapeake Bay-related enforcement priorities.
- Work closely with EIP attorneys and other staff, coalition partners, and clients to investigate, develop, and prosecute cases and appeal weak, deficient permits.
- Participate, with increasing responsibility, in a range of tasks required for case development and litigation than can include factual investigation, legal research, discovery, briefing, witness preparation, and oral advocacy.
- Law school graduate admitted to, or eligible to apply for admission to, the District of Columbia Bar.
- 1-5 years of post-law school legal experience, with litigation experience preferred.
- Excellent research, analytic, writing, and communication skills.
- Strong work ethic, initiative, sound judgment, and creativity.
- Ability to work constructively and with professionalism in a diverse, dynamic, and hard-working team-oriented atmosphere.
- Commitment to public interest work and a passion for the role of EIP and its mission.
- Awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of diverse individuals.
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits. EIP is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Interested candidates should submit a resume, cover letter, a legal writing sample of no more than 7 pages, phone and email contacts for three references, and law school transcripts. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Please submit your application materials to Mary Greene at email@example.com.
Requirements:Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in accounting or related field. 3+ years accounting experience in a nonprofit environment preferred. Proficiency in Quickbooks and Excel are a must, as well as experience with payroll and timekeeping applications. Organized self-starter who can contribute to improving systems and enjoys working with a team on a variety of tasks.
- Process payroll on a biweekly basis
- Coordinate annual 5500 filing with 401K Administrator
- Process quarterly company profit-sharing contributions to 401K plan
- Allocate timesheet data for grant tracking purposes
- Review quarterly and yearly tax filing for accuracy
- Process contribution receipts and track grant income
- Maintain deposit records and detailed contribution listings
- Accrue for grant receivables as needed
- Process vendor invoices, employee expense reimbursements, and other payment requests
- Maintain vendor files including contracts, W-9 forms, and corresponding leases
- Prepare payments on a weekly basis
- Reconcile credit card purchases and record expenses
- Reconcile bank accounts
- Reconcile balance sheet accounts
- Prepare salaries and wages allocation on a monthly basis
- Prepare benefits and G&A allocations on a monthly basis
- Record monthly prepaid expenses on an accrual basis
- Prepare grant reports as requested
- Prepare monthly financial statements including Balance Sheet, P&L, and P&L vs. Budget
- Coordinate preparation of 990 annual filing
- Coordinate completion of annual audit and preparation of audited financial statements
To apply please submit your resume, cover letter and two references to firstname.lastname@example.org